RePlug™ is a cement additive that improves the outcome of Portland Cement products.
The oil and gas industry that must plug and abandon 100 000 oil and gas wells worldwide in the next 40 years. There are 10 000 wells to be plugged just in the around North Sea and service companies are looking for a competitive advantage. The cost for operators in the North Sea only has been estimated at 100 billion €, a major burden to the petroleum industry but also to the taxpayer as up to 78% is covered by tax deductions.
RePlug™ has the following properties:
- It is self-healing and CO2-resistant
- It can be designed to deform by ductile crushing, not brittle failure
- It reacts to water by reduced porosity and permeability
- It gives reduced porosity by extended curing periods
- It has 20-30% lower CO2 footprint than ordinary Portland cement
- It is environmentally friendly
- It has slight expansion (not shrinkage) on setting
- We find that early tests show better bonding to steel and rock
- It is patent pending
Compliance requirements of NORSOK Standard D010 for Portland G vs the addition of RePlug™:
|Cement materials must:||Portland G Cement||Portland G + RePlugTM|
|a) Provide long term (“eternal”) integrity||– (unknown)||+ (well known)|
|b) Impermeable||– (known issues)||+ (self heals)|
|c) Non shrinking||– (shrinks 2-4%)||+ (expands to fill the available space)|
|d) Able to withstand mechanical loads/impact||– (once fractured it is open)||+ (cataclasis followed by hydrous self healing)|
|e) Resistant to chemicals/substances (H2S, CO2, hydrocarbons)||– (CO2)||+ (CO2)|
|f) Wetting to ensure bonding to steel||– (known issues)||+ (early tests show excellent wetting)|
|g) Not harmful to the steel tubulars integrity||– (limited buffer capacity)||+ (high buffer capacity)|
Contact us for more information or interest in the product RePlug™.